What happens if you lose the title deeds to your property?

Is it important?

In most cases, it does not matter if you cannot find the title deeds to your property. This is because the legal ownership of property (traditionally shown by the title deeds) is registered in a centralised digital register known as HM Land Registry.

Registered title

The requirement for compulsory registration dates back to 1925. The law requires that any disposition (eg. a sale, gift, or mortgage) of unregistered land must be registered at the Land Registry, otherwise it is not legally effective.

Around 85% of properties in England and Wales are now registered at the Land Registry. Where a property is registered at the Land Registry, legal ownership (‘title’) of the property is registered as conclusive proof – along with other legal and beneficial rights in and over the property. This means a separate paper deed is not required, though many people like to have a paper copy of their ownership (called an ‘Official Copy’) for their own records.

In short, if the property is registered at the Land Registry it does not matter if you cannot find any paper deeds or documents.

What if the property is unregistered?

If the property is unregistered and you cannot find the title deeds and documents, you will have to prove legal ownership, ie. that you have the right to sell or otherwise transfer the property (for our purposes, we will assume you are selling the property).

Once legal ownership is proved and the sale is complete, the property must be registered at the Land Registry. The Land Registry – and therefore the buyer’s solicitor – will require proof of legal ownership going back at least 15 years. This means you will need to produce documentary evidence showing a chain of legal ownership for the last 15 years. In practice, many solicitors acting for the buyer in these situations will require the seller to register their ownership at the Land Registry before the sale can proceed.

How do I prove ownership?

If you do not have the deeds because they have been lost or destroyed, you can try to locate them by contacting local solicitors to see if they have any documentation relating to the property. You could also place an advert in the Law Gazette stating the name of the owner/purchaser, the location of the property, and request information. A solicitor involved in the purchase may see the notice and contact you.

You should also search the property itself (and any other possible storage locations). There have been instances where relatives have found the deeds under the floor boards of the property, so you may need to think creatively.

If you still cannot find the deeds, you will need to complete an application for First Registration, and produce evidence in support of your application. You will need to demonstrate at least 15 years of unbroken ownership. If you cannot prove this, you must submit to the Land Registry any documents and other evidence you can to enable the Land Registry to consider some form of registration.

Unlock this article now!


For more information on:

  • Evidence required for first registration
  • What happens next?