Inbrief: Free Legal Information


Home   About   Advertising  Contributors 


Search In Brief

Over a thousand pages of free legal information written by our selected team of legal experts


  Browse Legal Topics     Ask a Solicitor Online



Marriage Law

Pre Marriage

Prenuptial Agreements

Pre Marital Agreement Before Marriage

Post Marital Post Separation Agreements

Getting Married

Common Law Marriage

What Makes a Marriage Valid

Civil Partnerships

Restrictions on Marrying Foreigners

Prohibited Marriages

Related Matters

Cohabitation Living Partners

Decree of Nullity

Domestic Agreements


Forced Marriage Protection Order

Marriage Formation Dissolution

Changing Your Name

Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence and the Law

Protection From Domestic Violence

Non Molestation Orders in Domestic Violence

Occupation Orders in Domestic Violence



Ask a Solicitor Now

We have partnered with JustAnswer so that you can get an answer ASAP.

get legal advice

What is a forced marriage?

A forced marriage is a marriage that takes place without the full and free consent of both parties and will undoubtedly involve circumstances of duress. Duress may include physical, psychological, financial, sexual and emotional pressure. Traditionally, it was predominately young females who were subject to forced marriages. However, there has been a progressive increase in male individuals being forced into marriage without consent.

How does an arranged marriage differ from a forced marriage?

In arranged marriages the families of both parties take a leading role in arranging the marriage but the choice whether or not to accept the arrangement remains with the prospective parties.

Reasons for forced marriages:

There are many reasons why individuals are forced into marriage. Some of the key reasons include:

What are Forced Marriage Protection Orders?

Section 1 of The Forced Marriage (Civil Protection) Act 2007 inserted provisions into the Family Law 1996 enabling the courts to make Forced Marriage Protection Orders (FMPO) to prevent forced marriages from occurring and to protect those who have already been forced into marriage.

The order can include prohibitions, restrictions or requirements to protect a victim from a spouse, family member or anyone involved. Involvement can include aiding, abetting, counselling, procuring, encouraging, or assisting another person to force or attempt to force a person to marry. FMPO’s can last for a specified time or if the court so desires, set the FMPO for an indefinite period i.e. until varied or discharged. The order can relate to conduct either within or outside of England and Wales.

Who can apply for an FMPO?

The court may make a FMPO on an application being made by:

Where can I apply for an FMPO?

An application for a FMPO can be made at a number of county courts in England and Wales or at the High Court in London. The court may, in any case where it considers that it is just and convenient to do so, make a forced marriage protection order even though the respondent has not been given such notice of the proceedings. 

However, the court must have regard to the circumstances:

Powers of the Court

The court has the power to make a FMPO to protect a person facing forced marriage or who has been forced into marriage. The court also has the power to add an attachment of a power of arrest if it considers that the respondent has used or threatened violence against the person being protected

Enforcement of FMPO’s

Breach of an order made under the Forced Marriage (Civil Protection) Act 2007 is not a criminal offence. However, where a power of arrest is attached to the order the police have the power to arrest anyone who they have reasonable suspicion to believe are in breach of the order. A person arrested for a breach of a FMPO must be brought before the court within a period of 24 hours and will be dealt with under the court’s powers of contempt of court.

Although there is no specific criminal offence of forcing a person into a forced marriage, the forcing parties may be guilty of committing other criminal offences such as:

Still Looking for answers? Ask a Lawyer Now

Use the box below to put your question to a solicitor or barrister. You will usually have an answer back within minutes.