Inbrief: Free Legal Information


Home   About   Advertising  Contributors 


Search In Brief

Over a thousand pages of free legal information written by our selected team of legal experts


  Browse Legal Topics     Ask a Solicitor Online



Marriage Law

Pre Marriage

Prenuptial Agreements

Pre Marital Agreement Before Marriage

Post Marital Post Separation Agreements

Getting Married

Common Law Marriage

What Makes a Marriage Valid

Civil Partnerships

Restrictions on Marrying Foreigners

Prohibited Marriages

Related Matters

Cohabitation Living Partners

Decree of Nullity

Domestic Agreements


Forced Marriage Protection Order

Marriage Formation Dissolution

Changing Your Name

Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence and the Law

Protection From Domestic Violence

Non Molestation Orders in Domestic Violence

Occupation Orders in Domestic Violence



Ask a Solicitor Now

We have partnered with JustAnswer so that you can get an answer ASAP.

get legal advice

What constitutes cohabitation

Cohabitation generally means living together as a couple. When people decide to live together, they do not automatically qualify for the same protection under the law as married people or people in a civil partnership. This includes so-called common law wives and husbands. When a relationship between two cohabiting people ends, there are numerous legal issues that can affect what happens next.

Cohabitation/living together agreements

People who decide to live together can make a cohabitation contract/living together agreement to outline their obligations and rights in various circumstances. Although such an agreement can be useful, they are not always legally binding. Promises made in a cohabitation/living together agreement can be made legally binding. In a few areas, cohabiting couples have the same rights as married couples, but in most cases they will be treated differently. The best solution to the problem of how to establish legal rights is for the couple to draw up legally enforceable agreements with the aid of a solicitor.

The home

Neither person has any basic rights to their partnerís property or maintenance. What happens to the home when a relationship breaks up depends on its ownership.

If the house was held as a Ďjoint tenancyí by the couple:

If the house was held as a Ďtenancy in commoní:

If the house was rented and the tenancy agreement names both people, then they are both responsible for the rent. If one person fails to pay the rent, the other person is liable. If both people are on the tenancy agreement, then they both have the right to stay in the house if the relationship breaks up. If only one person is named on the tenancy agreement, they can make the unnamed person leave unless they can establish Ďright of occupationí in court.

If one person moved into the other personís house, they do not automatically get any rights to the home. If the house is sold, the person who moved in will have no right to prevent the sale or stay living in the property. It is possible for the person to gain rights to the house if both people agree to share the ownership.

Tenancy can be contested in court. If one person contributed significantly to the property than the other (for example by making mortgage payments), it is possible in some cases for them to win rights to the property. If a person has children, they may be able to ask a court to transfer the ownership of a property if it is considered by the court to be in the best interests of the children.



Neither person will have any rights to the other personís finances unless they have a joint account. If they have a joint account, then the money will belong to both people, but if one person didnít use the account at all, it will be hard for them to claim any right to it.

Neither person is liable for any debts in the other personís name. If the debts are under both names or if a person is acting as guarantor on the personís debt, then they are liable. In some circumstances, both partners will be responsible for a debt, such as in the case of council tax, for instance.



Possessions owned by a person before the relationship will continue to be theirs and the person who bought an object will be its owner. Things bought from a joint account will belong to both people and things given as a gift to the other person will be owned by the recipient, but this can be exceedingly hard to prove.


Death and inheritance

If one person in a relationship dies without leaving a will, the surviving person will not inherit anything automatically except the property if it is held jointly. However, if the death of one person means that the other person does not have enough to live on, the surviving partner might be able to go to court and win the right to claim from the estate. If a will has been made, a person will still have to pay inheritance tax, unlike a married partner.



Unmarried people are taxed separately.


Can a partner qualify as next of kin?

In some circumstances they can. When a person goes into hospital, they may be asked to name their next of kin and most hospitals will accept the name of an unmarried partner as next of kin. If they donít accept this, it is difficult to force them. The same applies for some other organisations, including prisons.



Any couple living together can adopt children, though the process will be more difficult than if they were actually married. For gay or lesbian adoption, see below.

What will happen to any children if the relationship ends?

A male partner is not automatically assumed to be the father of his child and the mother will get sole responsibility for the child except when:

If a parent appeals to a court to decide access to their children, they will normally be given access, but there are exceptional cases where this may not happen.


Both parents are responsible for supporting a child financially. The father is responsible even when he doesnít live with the mother and is not named on the childís birth certificate. This means that the father can be made to pay maintenance.

The child of unmarried parents has the same legal rights as the child of married parents when it comes to inheritance. Both have the right to inherit from both parents and their families.


Qualifying for legal aid

When a person is assessed for legal aid, the other personís income and assets will be considered unless:


Gay or Lesbian cohabitation

If a gay or lesbian couple are living together but have not registered a civil partnership they will not have all the same rights  as a couple registered as being in a civil partnership. As with cohabiting heterosexual couples, a living together agreement/cohabitation agreement will have to be agreed upon.

If a cohabitation agreement has been made between a same-sex couple, they can adopt children just as they would be able to if they had entered into a civil partnership, although the process will probably take longer.


Cohabitation and student finances

A personís eligibility for a student grant will be dependent on their partnerís income when they live together. The partnerís income does not affect the personís entitlement to a student loan.


Welfare benefits

A person living with a partner will be assessed in the same way irrespective of marital status. They will be expected to claim as a couple.


Still Looking for answers? Ask a Lawyer Now

Use the box below to put your question to a solicitor or barrister. You will usually have an answer back within minutes.