Compensation in the Magistrates Court

The Compensation Order

When a defendant is convicted of an offence the Magistrates can make a compensation order when passing sentence. The order is intended to make the defendant compensate the victim of the crime. A compensation order can either be a sentence in its own right or more commonly an additional part of the overall sentence. Compensation can be ordered if the defendant is sent to prison only if the defendant has the means to pay immediately.  If the Magistrates decide that no compensation is payable then they must state their reasons why in open court.

What does compensation cover?

It can be ordered for any personal injury, loss or damage caused by the offence or any other offences which are taken into consideration by the court. The latter are offences which the defendant wishes to admit and do not form part of the charges but are listed on a sheet of paper known as the TIC (taken into consideration) form. It should be noted that personal injury includes psychological injury caused to the victim. In terms of property stolen by the defendant if this is recovered but in a damaged condition then compensation can still be ordered regardless of whether the defendant was responsible for the damage or not. All that matters is that the damage was caused whilst the property was out of the owner’s control.

What is excluded?

Compensation is not payable to the dependents of a victim who has died save for the cost of funeral expenses and provided that the death did not result from a road accident involving a motor vehicle. Neither is compensation payable for injury, loss, damage due to an accident arising out of the presence of a motor vehicle on a road.  However there are two exceptions.

Unlock this article now!


For more information on:

  • Fixing the amount of compensation
  • Varying the Compensation Order
  • Compensation and Deprivation Orders
  • Compensation and Confiscation Orders