In order to make a website available on the internet it must be hosted by a web server. Hosting requires that the files are housed, serviced and maintained so that they are accessible when someone visits the website.
What factors need to be taken into account when deciding on an appropriate hosting package?
The following factors need to be taken into account when looking at hosting:
- Functionality – the features that are on offer and how the content is made available to the user
- Performance – the speed by which it responds to the requests made
- Reliability – how often your website is available and how often it suffers from down time
What hosting options are available to me?
The following two hosting options are available in order to host your website online:
- Internet Service Provider (ISP) hosting
- In house hosting
Internet Service Provider Hosting
When a website is hosted by an internet service provider (ISP) this means that the ISP is responsible for providing your business with connection to the internet through the following ways:
- Shared server – owned by the ISP and located at their offices and shared with other websites
- Dedicated hosting – your businesses website is the only one which is located on the server
- Co-location – you business will place your own server which you either own or rent at the premises of the ISP.
A shared service is the cheapest option for a simple website whereas dedicated hosting is the preferred option for more complex websites but of course is a little more expensive.
What are the advantages of using an ISP hosting service?
The following are advantages of using an ISP hosting service:
- ISP’s have a fast connection
- There is no need to invest in your own server
- The ISP server will be reliable and available most of the time
- The ISP server will be secure
What are the disadvantages of using an ISP hosting service?
The following are the disadvantages of using an ISP hosting service:
- If you are operating on a shared server your own websites performance may be compromised if they are hosting many other websites
- If the actions of other websites cause your ISP to be blacklisted then this may affect your website
For more information on:
- In House Hosting
- What are the advantages of in house hosting?
- What are the disadvantages of in house hosting?
- What Regulations and law will I need to be aware of?
- E-Commerce Regulations
- Distance Selling Regulations
- Data Protection
- Trade Descriptions Act
- Intellectual Property Rights