Disputes with Neighbours

What action can you take if you have a disagreement?

It’s no surprise that having a dispute with your neighbours can make life pretty miserable, and can affect both its value and your ability to sell your property in the future.

Whether you’re having a disagreement about noise levels or who owns a bit of land, it can help to know exactly what options are available to you when it comes to resolving these issues.


It is always the case that, when a dispute arises between you and your neighbours, the best first plan of action is to talk to them about it.  Trying to resolve the problem by communicating with them is not only less costly and stressful than legal options, it also keeps the lines of communication open between you and therefore is best for your future relationship.

It may be difficult at times, but if you manage to speak to them calmly about the situation, or to write to them if you feel there is too much anger between you, you’re less likely to encounter insurmountable problems later on.


Many local areas in the UK have dedicated mediation services to help you arrive at a solution that suits both of you, and it is generally recommended that you at least attempt this before embarking on any legal or formal courses of action.

Indeed, often once cases like this come to court, the judge will order you to attempt mediation if you have not already done so.

If you find it too difficult to talk to your neighbours face to face, the mediation service may be able to act as a go between in the communication process, representing both of your interests.


If the neighbour you’re having problems with is a tenant, and you’ve failed to negotiate a solution with them directly, the next option will be to contact their landlord.

If the landlord is a local authority or a housing association, they may have a formal procedure for this, however if it’s a private landlord they should also be in a good position to approach the tenant about the issue.


If the dispute that you’re having is caused by the neighbour committing what you believe to be an offence, for example assault or harassment, you should contact the police.

If the neighbour’s activity constitutes a breach of laws relating to pollution or health, you should contact the Environmental Health Department. If you believe that the neighbour has breached planning regulations, you should report it to the planning department within your local authority.


Many neighbour disputes are caused by noise nuisance. If your neighbour is making too much noise, you should firstly keep a record of the noise in terms of how long it lasts, at what times of day etc. You can then contact your local council, each of which has their own set procedure for handling complaints relating to noise.

Typically, the Environmental Health Department will send officers out to attempt to witness the noise first hand and create a record of it. They can then serve the neighbour with an order to either cut down or stop the noise, and on some occasions will remove equipment causing the noise.

Unlock this article now!


For more information on:

  • Land Boundaries
  • Trees and Bushes
  • Access
  • Overview