Inbrief: Free Legal Information


Home   About   Advertising  Contributors 


Search In Brief

Over a thousand pages of free legal information written by our selected team of legal experts


  Browse Legal Topics     Ask a Solicitor Online



Human Rights


Human Rights

Personal Liberty


Torture and ECHR

Human Rights and Terrorist Suspects

Detention Under the Mental Health Act

Peaceful Protest

Anti Slavery

Access to Information Held by Police


Care Home Rights


Protecting Your Privacy in Unwanted Calls

Privacy and Electronic Communications

Privacy From Media

Internet Privacy Policy

Facebook and Privacy of Personal Data

Data Protection Act

Image Rights

Right to a Private Life

Surveillance of Private Individuals

Sports Stars and Media Publication

Impersonating Someone on Facebook

Images of Yourself Online

Access to CCTV

Ask a Solicitor Now

We have partnered with JustAnswer so that you can get an answer ASAP.

get legal advice

The Human Rights Act 1998 applies to everyone in the UK, regardless of their reasons for being here. Since the law was passed in 1998, the rights that the act describes must be respected and upheld by the UK government and any other public authorities without exception.

The Human Rights Act in the UK backs-up the rights that are already outlined in the European Convention of Human Rights. The specific items of the act can be limited in order to make sure that they do not harm other people and their rights. This does not apply to every item of the act though, for example, the right not to suffer torture must be upheld without limit – not even a court of law can allow this right to be waived. Everybody has a social responsibility to be aware of the rights of others and to show respect for them, just as we are also justified in expecting other people to respect our rights too.

What are your Human Rights?

The rights stated in The Human Rights Act 1998 are as follows:

What if these rights are breached?

If you find yourself in the position where somebody has breached any of your human rights, you have the right to seek a lawful and effective solution. This right to seek solution stands even if the breach has been conducted by somebody in a position of authority, such as a member of the police force.

How to seek a resolution

It is always advisable to first attempt a resolution out of court. Alternative ways to resolve a violation of your human rights could be the use of a mediation service, or perhaps an internal complaints body. If, after following other courses of action to uphold your rights, you feel the issue has not been resolved, you can bring your case to court or tribunal. They will consider your case and decide if your human rights have not been respected.  Sometimes, a claim for damages or monies awed can be made.

It is very important to seek appropriate legal advice before taking legal action. You can seek this advice from various organisations, for example, The Citizens Advice Bureau or Community Legal Advice, who can point you in the right direction and help you find providers of advice in your local area.

Further reading

You can obtain a leaflet outlining important advice for bringing a claim under The Human Rights Act to court from Her Majesty’s Court Service (HMCS). Contact them and ask for a copy of ‘The Human Rights Act 1998 – Information for Court Users’.

Still Looking for answers? Ask a Lawyer Now

Use the box below to put your question to a solicitor or barrister. You will usually have an answer back within minutes.