Inbrief: Free Legal Information


Home   About   Advertising  Contributors 


Search In Brief

Over a thousand pages of free legal information written by our selected team of legal experts


  Browse Legal Topics     Ask a Solicitor Online



Divorce Law


Distribution of Family Assets after Divorce


Divorce Procedure

Divorce Law for the UK and India

Divorce and Family Businesses

Changes After Divorce

Grounds For Divorce

Maintenance Pending Suit

Pensions and Divorce Settlements

Divorce and Pension Rights


Cohabitation Agreements

Public Funding in Family Law Cases


Pre-divorce Maintenance Orders

Maintenance Orders

Access to Children

Child Contact Orders

Child Support Agency Making Parents  Pay

Residence Orders for Children

Prohibited Steps and Specific Issues Orders

Ask a Solicitor Now

We have partnered with JustAnswer so that you can get an answer ASAP.

get legal advice

What is the law

When it comes to the law regarding access to children, the most important provision made by the law is probably that the interests of the child come first. Cases are argued on the basis of what will be best for the child rather than what the parents consider fair or in their interests. It is a highly contestable area of law and it is hard to find definite rules on any given issues, but there are some general principles that a person should be aware of.

Usually, a court will allow contact between a child and parent, but the extent of this contact is contingent upon many different factors. The law encourages parents to keep in contact with their children and contact is usually only restricted when if it is in the child’s interests.

The Children Act 1989

The Children Act 1989 plays a very large part in any matters regarding access to children. It states that any decisions made about a child’s welfare will be made with the child’s welfare given ‘paramount consideration’. Factors that will be taken into account include:

The child’s feelings. Children can have a say in access cases, for example stating a preference when it comes to assigning residence to one parent or another. The more able to form an opinion a child is, the more attention a court will pay to these wishes. Although a child’s age will be a major factor, there is no set age for when a child’s own feelings become more important, so this is open to contention.

Domestic Violence/Abuse

All access cases should screen the parents for domestic violence. If either party alleges that domestic violence has taken place, the court may order the Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service to investigate and produce a welfare report.

Any welfare report should take into account:

Access to children after a common law marriage

A child’s right to contact with its parents does not depend on whether or not the parents were properly married.  Children of a common law marriage should also have contact with both of their parents.  If the separated partners do not make informal arrangements for access to children, then a court can be asked to decide provisions. Usually the court will allow contact between child and parent, but exceptional circumstances may prevent this from happening.

Access to Children for non-parents

Access can be granted to anyone, including grandparents, aunts, uncles and siblings. Anybody who has had a close relationship with the child can apply for contact.

Access to children for same-sex couples

Lesbian or gay partners may be able to get parental responsibility for their partner’s child. This is an especially complex area of law that is currently in a state of flux.


Residence is what used to be called custody. It regards where a child will live on a permanent basis and who will be their carer.

As with numerous other matters to do with access to children, if the parents can agree between themselves who gets residence, then the court doesn’t have to get involved. However, any agreement made outside of court is not final, so it is possible for either party to go to court later down the line if things are not working out.

In court, it is possible to get a residence order, which stipulates who a child lives with. Here an important distinction is made – it decides who a child lives with, not a specific address. Even when a father does not have parental responsibility, they still have the right to apply for a residence order.

Residence orders last until the child is 16, or, in special cases, until the child is 18. They can be overturned if the court makes another order at a later date or if the parents live together after the order is made for a period of over six months.

There are two kinds of residence order. They are:

  1. A full residence order; and

  2. A shared residence order (also known as a joint residence order).

A full residence order says which parent a child will live with.

A shared residence order is the name of an order made in favour of both parents that specifies how long a child spends with each parent. A shared residence order will not always say that both parents get access for same amount of time. A shared residence order indicates that both parents have made equal contributions to their children’s lives and have shared responsibility of the children’s upbringing.

If a father wins a residence order, he will automatically be granted parental responsibility, even if he did not have it before. This will grant him the legal right to make decisions about the child’s life, such as their religion, medical treatment and education.


After residence has been decided, the non-resident parent may still be eligible for contact with a child. Contact can be:

‘Reasonable contact’ is determined on a case-by-case basis. What constitutes reasonable contact is not set in stone.

During contact, a person can usually take the child wherever they want, but this is debatable. A court may look unfavourably upon a child being taken to a bookmakers, for instance.

For occasions like school meetings, both parents should be treated equally, unless another court order has been made to prevent this (if this would put the child or a parent at risk of harm, for instance).

Parents can agree contact outside of court or they can apply for a Contact Order.

Contact Orders

Contact Orders, like Residence Orders, are argued on the basis of the Children Act 1989, above. Contact Orders are legally binding and will set out the grounds on which parents can see their children. If these provisions are frequently not followed (one parent continually denying another of their allotted contact time, for instance), then they can appeal to the court to have new awards made.

Refusal of contact

Contact should only be refused if there is a good reason to do so otherwise the party who refuses may be held in contempt of court, leaving the door open for further legal action against them.


Another alternative to court action is mediation. Mediation involves both parents seeing a third party who will help them come to an agreement. As it is outside of court, it is entirely voluntary and far less formal – and therefore less stressful – than court proceedings.

Legal aid

Some people who are on benefits or have a low income are eligible for legal aid to help them pay for any access proceedings.

Still Looking for answers? Ask a Lawyer Now

Use the box below to put your question to a solicitor or barrister. You will usually have an answer back within minutes.