What is a Criminal Record
A criminal record is a list of offences for which an individual has been convicted in the past. Police Cautions will also show on a person’s criminal record.
What is the CRB?
The Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) was established under Part V of the Police Act 1997. It was launched in March 2002 and is an Executive Agency of the Home Office. The CRB provides access to the criminal records of individuals through its disclosure service. In England and Wales it is the CRB which is based in Liverpool that deals with criminal record disclosures. In the rest of the country it is the ‘Disclosure service’ and Access NI who provide disclosures in Scotland and Northern Ireland respectively.
Who will need to have a criminal record check?
People apply for the following will need to obtain a Disclosure:
- Posts which are covered by specific legislation, such as the Criminal Justice and Court Services Act 2000 and the Protection of Children Act 1999, which make it compulsory for some checks to be carried out or strongly recommends checks. These posts are listed in the Exemption Order of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. These include posts that involve unsupervised access to children or vulnerable adults
- programmes of study leading to qualification in professions that would be covered by specific legislation, such as the Criminal Justice and Court Services Act 2000 and the protection of Children Act 1999, which make it compulsory for checks to be carried out.
- People who through work come into contact with children or vulnerable adults
- Anyone who needs a permanent pass to the restricted zone of an airport will be required to produce a basic disclosure certificate.
- Volunteers who work with children and vulnerable adults will be required to produce a disclosure certificate. Only voluntary organisations that work with children or vulnerable adults can request Disclosures. Other categories of voluntary organisations are prevented from obtaining this information by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
For more information on:
- This is list is not exhaustive and you should check with the relevant organisation whether a CRB check is required.
- What information does a Disclosure contain?
- Standard Disclosure
- Enhanced Disclosure
- How can I obtain a Disclosure?
- What if the information on my Disclosure is wrong?
- For how long is a Disclosure valid?
- How much does a Disclosure cost?
- How long will a Disclosure take to obtain?
- The CRB aim to complete: